Child Mental Health-Related Links
- Facts for Families: A great resource of summaries of psychiatric difficulties in kids from the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry http://www.aacap.org and from the same organization good autism-specific information https://www.aacap.org/aacap/families_and_youth/resource_centers/autism_resource_center/home.aspx
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America: http://www.adaa.org/understanding-anxiety –current information on anxiety disorders and depression
- Mood Disorders Association of Ontario: www.mooddisorders.ca/
- OCD Canada: www.ocdcanada.org
- Anxiety Disorders Association of Ontario: www.anxietydisordersontario.ca/
- CHADD: Parent support group for ADHD. https://www.chadd.org/
- Learning Disability Association of Canada: Support for Learning Disabilities. http://www.ldac-acta.ca/
- CADDRA: The website of the Canadian ADHD Resource Alliance http://caddra.ca/
- www.autismontario.com/chapter/durham-region : Autism Ontario, Durham Region
- Life’s A Twitch: A great site about Tourette’s, by a Psychologist who has the disorder. http://www.lifesatwitch.com/
- Parents for Youth: A Toronto based agency to help parents deal with teens with severe misbehaviour. http://www.peggygrigor.com/pfy.html
- Helping Other Parents Everywhere: support groups for parents of difficult teens: https://www.hope4parents.ca
- Information on Mental Health and Sleep:
Recommended Reading–also see ‘Books’ and ‘Tips’ pages
The Early Years:
- Sears, W. (1991). “Keys to Calming the Fussy Baby.” Hauppauge, NY: Barron’s Educational.
- Fung, D. & Yiming C. (2002). “Raise Your Child Right.” Singapore: Times Books International.
General Parenting Challenges:
- Elliott, C.H. & Smith, L.L. (1999). “Why Can’t I Be the Parent I Want to Be?” Oakland, CA: New Harbinger.
- Seligman, M.E.P. (1995). “The Optimistic Child.” New York: Harper Collins.—on fostering resilience
- Coloroso, B. (2002). “The Bully, the Bullied, and the Bystander.” New York: Harper Collins.
- Faber, A. & Mazlish, E. (1987). “Siblings Without Rivalry.” New York: Avon Books.
- Faber, A. & Mazlish, E. (1980). “How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk.” New York: Avon Books.
Challenging Temperaments & Minor Misbehaviour:
- Greene, R.W. (2001). “The Explosive Child.” New York: Harper Collins.
- Turecki S. (2000). “The Difficult Child, 2nd Edition.” New York: Bantam Books.
- Kurcinka, M.S. (1998). “Raising Your Spirited Child.” New York: Harper Collins.
- Kranowitz, C.S. (1998). “The Out of Sync Child.” New York: Berkley Publishing.
- Phelan, T.W. (1995). “1-2-3 Magic, 2nd Edition.” Glen Ellyn, IL: Child Management Inc.
- Phelan, T.W. (1993). “Surviving Your Adolescents.” Glen Ellyn, IL: Child Management Inc.
- Manassis, K. (2007). “Keys to Parenting Your Anxious Child, 2nd Edition.” Hauppauge, NY: Barron’s Educational.
- Foa, E.B. & Andrews, L.W. (2006). “If Your Adolescent Has an Anxiety Disorder.” New York: Oxford University Press.
- McHolm, A.E., Cunningham, C.E., & Vanier, M.K. (2006). “Helping Your Child with Selective Mutism.” Oakland, CA: New Harbinger.
- Antony, M.M. & Swinson, R.P. (1998). “When Perfect Isn’t Good Enough.” Oakland, CA: New Harbinger.
- Huebner, D. & Matthews, B. (2005). “What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid’s Guide to Overcoming Anxiety.” Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Foa, E.B. & Wilson, R. (2001). “Stop Obsessing.” New York: Bantam Books.
- March, J.S. (2007). “Talking Back to OCD.” New York: Guilford Publishing.
- Foster, C.H. (1997). “Kids Like Me: Children’s Stories about OCD” New York: Solvay Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Manassis, K. & Levac, A.M. (2004). “Helping Your Teenager Beat Depression.” New York: Woodbine House Publishing.
- Barkley, R. A. (2013). “Taking Charge of ADHD, Third Edition: The Complete, Authoritative Guide for Parents.” New York: Guilford Publishing.
- Tanguay, P.B. (2001). “Nonverbal Learning Disabilities at Home.” London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
- Gray, C. & White, A.L. (2002). “My Social Stories Book.” London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
- Stewart, K. (2002). “Helping a Child with NVLD or Asperger’s Syndrome.” Oakland, CA: New Harbinger.
- Attwood, T. (1997). “Asperger’s Syndrome : A Guide for Parents and Professionals”. London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.